Livid Instruments has announced their latest product – the Block controller.
It is a compact and programmable MIDI control surface designed for interactive audio performance. Built on the same bi-directional and adaptable platform as the Ohm64, Block provides a powerful interface for creating and interacting with sound in a small easy-to-transport body. Sixty four backlight led buttons provide endless possibilities for visual feedback with the instrument by connecting it to Ableton Live, Max/Msp, our open source sounds apps, or any other software that supports MIDI. The open source blockEditor application lets you reprogram any of the controller’s sixty four clip buttons, eight knobs, two faders, and seven function buttons. Block is hand crafted from lightweight wood and aluminum for easy portability.
Block has bi-directional talkback communication allowing the controller to talk to your software, and software to your device. MIDI messages can be sent to the Block to light up the buttons for an interactive performance. Completely programable and mappable, block provides a flexible control surface that be used with any software or setup. Completely USB powered means you don't have to worry about adapters and and power strips, and it is plug and play so no drivers are required.
Block is designed with a perfectly square layout allowing it to be controlled from all sides. The 8×8 keypad and corresponding 8 knobs make it easy to integrate into your setup. Two faders, seven function buttons, and an extra large tap tempo button are provided to control presets, banks, settings, and are completely reprogrammable.
– 10.25″ x 10.25″ x 1.5″ (WLH) / weight 3 lbs. (26 cm x 26 cm x 3.8 cm, 1.36 kg)
– USB Powered
– Bi-Directional MIDI communication (talkback)
– Class-compliant: no drivers needed for Mac, Windows, or Linux.
– 64 Programmable backlight buttons for talk-back and interactive performance
– Programmable MIDI mapping allows you to change the MIDI settings on the hardware
– Anodized Aluminum Faceplate
– Open Source software tools to create your own LED talkback interaction
– Editor included for MIDI editing, and LED talkback programming
– Made in the USA
– Compatible with any software that supports MIDI learn
– ROHS compliant
– USB cable included
This product will be available for $399 from November 2009.
More information: Livid Instruments